So why was ASP.NET ignoring the assemblyBinding section? I'd already confirmed (more than once) that the assemblyBinding config section was properly positioned and formatted within the config. In fact, the section had been added quite a while before with an assembly binding for something unrelated to Kendo. So I went back to Binging and Googling, and in short order StackOverflow saved the day.
The StackOverflow question was "Why is assembly binding redirect not working on my web site?", and one of the first things the post author stated was "I have already removed the xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0" attribute from the root configuration element."
I hadn't done that. In fact, I wasn't even sure if my root configuration element had that attribute set. Once more I opened Web.config, and I'll be darned if my root configuration tag didn't have exactly what the StackOverflow user had removed from his.
I purged the xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0" attribute from my root configuration element, clicked refresh on my test page, and to my great relief the "Entry point was not found" error was nowhere to be found.
- Submit the support ticket sooner. The hours I spent spinning my wheels before I submitted the support ticket wouldn't have been necessary if I'd submitted the support ticket right after I verified that I'd done everything as Telerik instructed.
- Don't assume that something is working just because it's already in the code or the config file. My Web.config file already had an assemblyBinding section in it before I added the bindings specified for Kendo. It didn't cross my mind that the section may have only been put in the config to drive me nuts later....
- Keep code and config files clean! Dead, deprecated or test code should be removed, or at least clearly commented if it needs to be left in for some reason. Developers that refactor the code later will thank you!
The answer wasn't as helpful as I hoped:
This exception is thrown when the assembly binding configuration that is described in the configuration is not added. Please verify that the configuration is included correctly in the main Web.config file. There are not any other known reasons for this exception and if the problem persists, please send a small runnable sample so I can investigate further.
As I pondered what to do next, it dawned on me that the Telerik support tech might have given me the key to solving the problem: "There are not any other known reasons for this exception...."
Hmmmm... I had added the specified dependent assemblies to an existing "assemblyBinding" section in my Web.config: